By Darnelle Thompson
Winter’s finally crept in, and for most of us that means frustratingly dry, cracked and flaky skin. As experts advise switching up your moisturising regime for something better equipped to send the dry flakiness packing all through the blusters. We’ve come up with 5 body soaks with ingredients all from your pantry that will make you regret spending so much money on whatever you were using before!
5 DIY body soaks for ache-relief and ultimate relaxation
(body soaks are also great for fighting colds and aiding you with muscle relief and great skin as a bonus):
- Apple cider vinegar detox bath -If you’re not familiar with the benefits of apple cider vinegar, it’s important to take the time to learn about what it can do for you, both taken internally, and used externally to treat a number of conditions. Here they’re using it in a detox bath to help with conditions like arthritis and gout, as well as anything else caused by inflammation. This is a good bath to take if you feel that you need to sweat the toxins out, and also if you want to make sure that you get to sleep without lying awake with a wandering mind.
- 2. Epsom salt detox bath –Epsom salts are great to have around the house because they have many uses when it comes to your health. One of those is to put them in the bath with you so that it draws out toxins while you are relaxing in a hot bath. Epsom salt is said to be able to help with the circulatory system as well as improving nerve functions. Taking a regular Epsom salt bath is a relatively easy and painless way to improve your health and well-being. Add a handful of Epsom salts to your bath water and soak up the goodness.
- Baking soda detox – Did you know that common baking soda, the kind you might keep in your fridge to absorb the odors, can also be used as a detoxing option? That’s right, just by adding this to a bath you are giving it properties it otherwise wouldn’t have. It’s been said that this bath can help you de-stress. It’s important to look at stress as a toxic condition, and to look at ways of relaxing as a way to detox the body. The scientific way of referring to baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, and it’s great for neutralizing the chlorine that’s been added to most city water sources. It’s hard to detox in a bath that is full of a toxic chemical, so it’s good that this makes it naturally cleaner.
- Ginger detox bath – Ginger is a root that has plenty of healthy properties when you eat it, but it can also be used in other ways to help the body, like making a ginger bath. They say you can use different forms of it, either grating fresh ginger into the bath or sprinkling in some ginger powder. The author of the recipe says that it’s a way to get the body to sweat a lot more and get an extra amount of toxins out, similar to taking a sauna or sitting in a steam room. They say it led to feelings of increased energy, feeling cleaner, and kicking the symptoms of an oncoming cold.
- Essential oils detox bath – You can turn a bath into a sensory sensation just by adding some essential oils to it. The great part is that you can be very strategic with this and include oils based on what you’re problem du jour is. Let’s say you’re having a long day and you feel totally fatigued. There’s an essential oil for that and you’d want to choose peppermint for that bath. They have it all mapped out for you and have you covered whether you’re feeling stressed, depressed, worn out, or if you’re having a headache. It’s customized detoxing in a tub.
Tip: perhaps have a quick wash before your soak. Contaminating the soak concoction with soap will defeat the purpose of the soak, as well as weaken the full healing potential of the ingredients.